Friday, July 22, 2011

Tracing my family history of bipolar?

I was diagnosed bipolar type`1 3 years ago and at the time had no family history of bipolar. Ive always wondered cos noone in my imediate family has the disease. My parents were with me for nearly all of my appointments until now. Ive never disclosed certain things about my family history on my fathers side because its kind of a touchy subject. At my next appointment at which i will be seeing a new doctor and neither of my parents will be present. On my fathers side I have several aunts with alcohol problems and a leanings toward depression one aunt in particular is always considered eccentric. Going further back on my grandmothers side alot of her family were quirky and eccentric and could possibley have had the disease but at that period in time would not have been diagnosed. Could this be an incling toward a family history of such an illness and would it be worth revisiting with my doctor?

No comments:

Post a Comment